Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Here It Is. The First Step Into The World Of Klosterman.


Due to the fact that my books just arrived yesterday, I decided to look back at his magazine work for Spin and Esquire. I must say it was a very good experience. I transitioned from a piece on music interest to ethics and ending with a piece on goth kids in Disneyland. Confused? I was too.

The Ethics Paradox

So I started with the piece on ethics. Thought I would get the boring topic out of the way first. Turns out, I was wrong about it. I have now come to realize that nothing this man writes is boring. He investigated the lack of ethics in the population despite it's use of entertainment. Klosterman sure talks like a sailor I must say. Even though his diction was very sophisticated, the work "Fuck" and "Bullshit" were sprinkled throughout. He also has a way of relating everything back to music. It's great. I also loved his examples, I mean, who else do you know relates ethics back to "wanting to be a hippie".

Me, On Shuffle

I moved on to the next piece with high expectations. Klosterman did not let me down. He spoke about music taste and what actually influences it. He sure does love his music and it was evident in the piece. He is able to sprinkle in examples constantly, I admit, some bands I had to Google. His sarcastic humor and humorous tone are some of the best things about his writing.

Finally, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Now the most interesting piece I read. Klosterman investigated "Bats Day" at Disneyland in California. Its a day when all goths go to Disneyland and hang out. He took a new approach to it and I laughed throughout the entire article, which my sister thought was odd until she read it herself. The writing was much like his ethics piece, it also focused on a larger subject than just humor. His purpose was to investigate the stereotyping present in our society. His constant allusion and reference to pop culture is fascinating. I'm hooked on his reading. Swearing and music is once again a constant, but his diction is even stronger than in his first piece. The piece was great. Want to read it, Here it is.


I can't wait to move onto the book of articles I bought: Sex, Drugs, and Coco Puffs and Chuck Klosterman IV.
I leave you with this riddle: How do you make 50 goths sprint across Disneyland?


Answer: Put up a sign that says "Smoking Section"

No comments:

Post a Comment